Saturday 8 September 2007

Brain Drain or No Brains?

Becoming a government servant in this country is seriously such a hassle. You have to fill in countless forms and undergo many procedures just to be one. They do not give you anytime to prepare yourself and let me tell you one thing, their management and administration department is so last-minute. They do things extremely slow and don't let me start on the way they handle things. I've been to their so-called health department and the office looks like a hurricane has hit it. Take for example my case. I went for the interview on the 26th of July. I did not receive any news or call from them until the 30th of August. Mind you, before I found out which state I'm going to be posted, I've made countless phone calls to the department. I've dialled their so-called 'hotline' number a gazillion times until I can even memorised the 3 numbers in my heart. Found out I was going to work in Pahang for a year. Fine, that's ok, I still can accept that. SO, after I received the appointment letter on the 30th of August, they actually got the nerve to ask me to report myself for work on the 1st of September. Excuse me, don't they know that we need TIME to prepare ourselves for work like finding a place to rent, the location of the hospital, and other major things to be settled before we can actually start working??? It's bad enough when they don't let you work in your hometown or the states that you have chosen, but when they actually want you to work immediately without giving you some time to work things out, do they think that professionals like us want to stay in this country and serve them??? I seriously do not think anyone in their right minds want to stay here and 'serve' them. So, goodbye Msia and Hello, Singapore. No wonder there's a brain drain. No wonder everyone wants to run away. No wonder there's a shortage of health workers and professionals. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Next Monday will be my first day of work. The name of the hospital is Hospital Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah, Temerloh. Brand new hospital. Huge. Why did they build such a big hospital in a small town??? A waste of taxpayers' money probably. Any serious cases are send to Kuantan hospital or GHKL. What's the point of such a big and new hospital if all the important and serious cases are refered to another hospital? Anyway, found a house to rent. Only RM380 per month. Damn cheap. Will be staying with a batchmate and a senior. Hopefully everything will fall into place without any major obstacles. Oh yeah, and they will actually pay us in November. That means we won't receive any 'bread' until the next 2 months. SO, who's going to pay for our rent until that time?

No comments: